It’s BBQ Time!

The weather has been AMAZING recently, and if you are anything like me you love to spend as much time outside in it as possible. Cooking outdoors is a great way to fill up your nature-loving tank whilst also getting on with what would typically be an inside chore. It can also be a really easy way to load up on salads and add just a little grilled meat/fish/halloumi/veg for a really tasty and quick healthy meal.
The one thing I have really missed from BBQ’s since I started trying to cut refined sugars from my life is Ketchup. Dr Andrew Young, at May’s Restoration Health event,  suggested that we should all be aiming to stay under 24g of sugars a day, but just one tbsp of a well known ketchup brand contains 4.7g, which doesn’t leave a whole lot for the rest of your food that day, and let’s face it… who puts only one tbsp of ketchup on their plate? In fact, the second ingredient on the list of the bottle is sugar, closely followed by corn starch, and then more sugar in the form of ‘maltodextrose’.
The thing is, ketchup used to be healthy. Believe it or not, this was a probiotic condiment, fermented tomatoes with spices, that would have been a great addition to any meal, filled with enzymes and live bacteria to help you break down the meal and get the most nutrition out of each bite.
Lucky for you, the internet abounds with some great traditional recipes that you can use to make your own delicious ketchup. My favourite is:
Mix together all of the ingredients, ensuring that the salt and honey are both completely dissolve, then pour it into a mason jar. Cover it with a cheesecloth to prevent flies and leave it out on your kitchen counter overnight. In the morning you can take away the cheesecloth, screw the lid on tight and pop it in the fridge.
Make sure you use it within eight weeks.
But what if you are too busy to make ketchup? Sometimes even I want to get out of my kitchen and enjoy the summer.
Well, I recently discovered Dr Wills
I love this company because their sauces are dairy free, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, wheat free, nut free, egg free, celery free, lupin free, mustard free, sesame seed free, soy bean free, sulphur dioxide free, maize free, citric acid free, crustacean free, mollusc free, fish free, peanut free, no added sugar, no preservatives and no additives, which means that pretty much every single one of my clients can also eat it (except for the one person I have asked to avoid tomatoes… you know who you are!) …and did I mention that it was the most delicious Ketchup I’ve ever tasted?
Three out of four Gracie’s love it (my six year old prefers to just eat tomato puree…). It’s not probiotic, so I still recommend making your own when you can, but for a shortcut, I haven’t found a better tomato sauce than this.
It’s available on amazon prime and they also make BBQ sauce and ‘Beetroot Ketchup‘ which is on my list of things to try next. Enjoy your BBQ season!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.