Spicy Lemon Sorbet

When I was a kid my parents used to take us to this amazing restaurant that served sorbet inside a hollowed out fruit, and I thought it was the best dessert in the whole wide world. It sparked a love affair with lemon sorbet that meant I could never order anything else if that was available on the menu.

Oddly, since having an ice cream machine, I haven't made any sorbets. I'm not really sure why, but today I broke that.

I've had a sore throat for a few days, which leaves me whispering each morning, my voice returns by lunch time, but then my chest feels tight each evening and the only thing that's been helping is steam.

Today I decided it's time to nail this virus with as much vitamin C and probiotics as I can muster, and a cooling sorbet sounded perfect for easing my sore throat.

So, I juiced about piece of ginger roughly the size of the palm of my hand. I know this doesn't traditionally go in lemon sorbet, but lemon and ginger go together well and ginger is anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antioxidant, so it can't hurt to throw it in.

Ginger’s antihistamine properties help in treating allergies, which are a common cause for respiratory problems like bronchitis and asthma, plus it's known to inhibit airway contraction and help stimulate the secretion of mucus which should soothe my dry itchy cough tonight.

Next I juiced six whole lemons, skin on and everything, 6 apples (too sweeten, and they have vitamin C too) and cracked in two raw eggs from my chickens. You can totally skip the eggs if you don't have access to fresh ones. I wouldn't take my chances with one from a shop.

Chuck it all in the ice cream machine and let it do it's thing.

This sorbet was delicious and if you don't eat a lot of sugar was absolutely sweet enough with just the apples. If I was serving it to guests I might throw a little bit of raw honey in too. The texture is just perfect, and it's lovely and soothing on a sore throat.

Enjoy x 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.