Honey Love

I'm not sure how anyone can not love honey. I think if you don't, you probably haven't tried enough honeys. 

Being totally honest, I don't care how good for you manuka honey is, it tastes awful. It's best used as a medicine and not a treat. Ethiopian honey has an odd smokey taste that is fine in certain situations, but I wouldn't want it in my tea. It's cheap though (if you buy it in large quantities) and makes a great poultice.

 English honey though, is an entirely different beast. English honey goes with everything and makes everything it touches taste amazing. The best English honey is light, sweet, not over-poweringly 'honey' flavoured, and bought from Oakfield Honey farm
Not that I'm biased. 

Honey has been in my family since before I was born, and if we were very lucky when I was little we got to chew on a bit of honey comb. I love heather honey, lime honey, vanilla honey... basically if Oakfield Honey farm produce it, it's delicious. 

Having said goodbye to refined sugars as part of our healing journey on the GAPS diet, honey has become more and more important to us and to be honest, having sampled lots of cheaper imported honey, I have come to realise how spoiled I was with local honey as a child. Nothing I've bought cheaper tastes anything like as good. 

My lovely cousin Becky (the gorgeous girl in the red lipstick) also loves bees. She loves bees so much that she is the first apprentice Beekeeper in the UK and she's been all over the BBC radio stations this week, being interviewed about what she's doing and how she's doing it. She's also agreed to be interviewed by me, so keep your eyes open next week for a blog post all about her apprenticeship and the queen rearing business that she runs (for those who don't know, queens are how you control the whole hive. Bex selectively breeds the friendliest, most productive bees ever and people pay her a lot of money for one little, tiny, bee!)
So if you want to know a bit more about bee keeping apprenticeships and breeding docile bees that are super honey producers, stay tuned!

In the meantime, if you want to hear more experiences of setting up your own amateur bee colony, you should read my friend Richard's blog over at Honey Bee Mine. He did a few summer's work over at Oakfield Honey Farm (it's kind of how you get initiated into our family. Matt did it, my brother in law did it. If you date us you have to work for my uncle) and caught the honey love bug (how could you not?) and is blogging his way through his hobby. It's a great blog and twitter feed he has going, so have a look. 


All photos were taken by Becky, by the way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.