The Great Sleep Experiment: Day One and Podcasts


So it's 5am and I'm awake. So far, so good. (If you want to know why I'm up at that this hour, click here) I woke up a few times in the night, but so long as I don't take any naps today I don't expect that will be true tomorrow. Even my dog is still fast asleep and the house is so quiet and peaceful, I already feel good about this. 


image source
Turning screens off early in the day means no more catching up on admin/accounts in the evening once my kids are in bed, so I suppose I'll have to do that in the mornings from now on - which is fine because this is actually a really good quiet time with no interruptions.

So what will I do in the evenings?

Here are some ideas I came up with to make sure that the TV does not get switched on:


  • Reading
  • Crochet/knit/sew... be creative
  • Sew and mend clothes (there's always little button repairs etc... waiting)
  • Journal
  • DIY projects
  • Cooking/baking for tomorrow
  • Cleaning
  • Laundry
  • Take a loooong hot bath :-)
A lot of these are chores and things I normally try to do with the kids around. Having extra admin time in the morning means that hopefully I've gained a few hours, so this stuff can wait until the evening. This should give me more time play with my kids. 

They are also things I'd normally do whilst listening to a lecture or a TEDtalk or something on youTube, so I'm going to create a huge list of podcasts for my iPod to listen to instead. 

Here are some ideas if you are struggling for something to listen to:


Family Resources
Focus on the Family - Daily broadcasts with Jim Daly and John Fuller. They have fantastic guests and handle a broad range of difficult topics sensitively. I've been listening to these shows for years and they are great. They also have Focus on Marriage and Focus on Parenting. 

FamilyLife Today -  a half hour chat show of practical tools that address issues surrounding families. It's presented by Dennis Rainey and Bob Lupine and it's always encouraging.  


TEDtalks
Health from new medical break-throughs to smart daily health habits, doctors and researchers share their discoveries about well-being.

Science and Medicine scientists, researchers and doctors from all over the world share their discoveries and visions.

Education Some of the world's best educators, researchers and community leaders share their views on topics like "what the future of education should look like" and "how brain's learn".



Christian Teaching
Kings Arms Church - this is my church. I don't always get to go so catching up on the podcast is great. Regular speakers include Simon Holley, Paul Johnson and Phil Wilthew.

The Village Church - I love listening to the village church podcasts, although my husband finds them a little 'shouty'. It's still great Bible exegesis most weeks and really worth a listen. Regular speaker is Matt Chandler. 

66/40 -  Brilliant, in depth, Bible Study from the Koinonia institute.

Sisterhood - Podcast with Bobbie Houston from Hillsong church. A podcast for everyday women who desire to make a difference. 

Worship Central - seminars from conferences, but also a regular monthly interviews and recordings. 


For the Kids
Adventures in Odyssey - Fun radio plays based at 'Whit's End'. My kids love these shows. 

Paws & Tales - Helping children learn life lessons in a fun and memorable way. 

Family Theater Podcast - Old time family radio shows.


Just for Fun
Home Front - My sister recommended this to me and Elisha and I started listening yesterday. It's pretty good so far. Part of the BBC WWI series it's a historical radio play. 

The Archers - I haven't quite brought myself to listen to this yet. Christine tells me it's amazing. I'm skeptical  but I might give it a try. 


Music
BBC 3 Jazz Library - Alyn Shipton presents a walk through great jazz artists and recordings, intersperse with interviews with the artists. It's really great relaxing evening listening.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.