The Great Sleep Experiment: Day five

Nothing much to report, I'm feeling good.

It's definitely getting easier to get up when the alarm goes off first thing. I'd be lying if I said I jump awake, raring to go - although that should come with time - but at least I don't wake feeling like I've been drugged, which was how I used to feel when my alarm went off!

I'm not too sleepy in the afternoons, although yesterday evening I was struggling to stay awake until 10:30pm. I'm pretty sure I fell asleep the minute my head touched the pillow (which may or may not have actually only been 10:25pm...) rather than my usual tossing and turning. This might also have been because I had a particularly exhausting afternoon/evening with sick children and daddy away on a field trip (why is it that field trips always seem to coincide with sickness?) so they were up late with tears.

There's something so beautiful about being up when it's all quiet and fully awake before the sunrise. It's strange to think that I'm currently waiting until it's light enough to let my chickens out, rather than getting outside to hear crazy flapping and scratching from them waiting for me. Even stranger to think that I'm nearly a 1/4 way through my sleep training experiment

2 comments:

  1. Just caught up with this. Sleep training is really interesting. Quite hard to do with young kids, I found! But since they've grown up I discovered that I could wake naturally, without the alarm clock, so long as I take plenty of exercise, switch off the computer at least an hour before bed and maybe just read a bit before hitting the pillow.

    I also tend to find that my sleep pattern alters naturally with seasonal and light changes. At one time - because I had to - I struggled with that. But now, I accept those variations. Basically, I sleep more in the winter and less in the summer.

    And now I've got a more natural rhythm to my sleep pattern, I also find that I can wake before the alarm even if some appointment means that I do set it as a security measure.

    Being absolutely dog-tired when you go to bed helps!

    Thanks for sharing your experiences here. Really interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda. Being dog tired definitely does help. As a rule I do sleep more in the winter than in the summer, but I also find my mood to be lower and general health and wellness deteriorates in the winter.

    I know there's a lot to be said for SAD and I used to have a sunbed in my house to help me combat it in the winter months. I have found with an improved diet it's not so bad, but I was really interested in Dr Bergman's suggestion that healthier people sleep less and that restricting sleep is actually good for you.

    I'm really looking forward to the end of 21 days when I will either feel great or quit!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.