The Great Sleep Experiment: Day three

image source


If you want to know why I'm up at 5am, you should click here.

I'm feeling much better today already. Wake up was a breeze after I jumped straight in the shower (yesterday I waited and did stuff in my pyjamas - bad move. I think up, showered, dressed ASAP is the way forward).

Speaking of showers, I bought a new shower head off amazon. It's supposed to soften the water and remove some of the chlorine and rubbish that the water supplier adds. If you want to know why I'd be keen to get rid of that you should read my posts on Thyroid dysfunction.

I haven't chemically tested the water so I can't tell you whether all the claims are true, but it certainly feels different. I'm sure you're probably not supposed to do this (it's not advertised as safe for drinking!) but I tasted some and it even tastes different. Bedford has extremely hard water, and moving here from Sedbergh, where the water is very soft, was a bit of a shock. My soap is finally foaming again nicely and if nothing else it's improved our water pressure immensely. The problem with that being that our shower handle is stuck at a 45 degree angle and now with all that pressure it sprays out the end of the bath :-/

Home grown garden rosemary mingling  with cool peppermint and spearmint  leaves makes for a very awakening combination of herbs and mint.
image source
I'm also diffusing rosemary and mint oils this morning. They go surprisingly well together and are both great mental stimulants. The 1,8 cineole (a naturally occurring chemical) in rosemary is known to get into the bloodstream via smelling and inhibits enzymes (acetylcholinesterase and butyrylcholinesterase) which break down acetylcholine, a principal neurotransmitter in the brain. It's like a natural version of the most commonly prescribed Alzheimer's drugs.[1,2]

We're going skiing today with our home ed co-op so we're going to be out all day. People often ask me how you do a 'real food' packed lunch. The answer for us is a bit of a compromise. My children end up eating a lot more fruit than I'd let them at home, just because it's so conveniently packaged by nature. I also baked the civilised caveman's banana bread for us to take today. I leave out the spices though and throw in some cocoa nibs. It's really good with a slathering of butter and very filling.

That's all for today. Thank for reading.


References
1. Jimbo D, Kimura Y, Taniguchi M et al 2009 Effect of aromatherapy on patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Psychogeriatrics 9:173-179
2. Orhan I, Aslan S, Kartal M et al 2008 Inhibitory effect of Turkish Rosmarinus officinalis L. on acetylcholinesterase and butyrylcholinesterase enzymes. Food Chemistry 108:663-668

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.