The Great Sleep Experiment COMPLETE!

Image source
The Great Sleep Experiment is over! My 21 days are done, and the habit is formed. Apart from a couple of slip ups it's been easier than I imagined. 

I definitely feel more positive, even when tired, which I think can be put down to sleeping at the correct times for my body to produce serotonin. 

Will I continue?

Yes and no.

I am LOVING getting up at 5am and having the whole house to myself for a couple of hours before facing everyone else (I'm an introvert. I love my family, but I also need 'me' time), but... 10:30pm is leaving me feeling tired still. Dr Bergman does suggest in his video that women need more sleep than men, so I think I might move my bedtime back a bit earlier. 10:00pm is still plenty of time to get chores done and have a bit of journalling/sewing time in the evening after the children are in bed and I think the extra half hour is going to make a big difference to me. 

I also plan to be more flexible with regards to social events. Now that I've 'trained' myself to fall asleep the minute my head hits the pillow, I feel like it would be alright to stay up a bit for big events, as long as I don't sleep in the next day and I possibly get a slightly earlier night. Waking up consistently at the same time seems to be more important for me than what time I went to bed.

I also think that this is going to get better for me seasonally. I always feel like it's easier to wake up early in the summer when it's light, so it will be interesting when autumn/winter come around again.

Would I recommend sleep training? YES.
It has been a great experience of learning to listen to my body and understanding it's needs for sleep a little better. My base metabolic rate has improved slightly, which it wouldn't have been able to do if I was stressed from lack of sleep. The experience was harder some days than others, but totally worth giving a go, especially if you suffer from disordered sleep like insomnia.

If you want to have a go, you can read more about it here, but here's the summary.

1. You must sleep between 11pm and 1am.
2. Restrict your sleep.
3. Routine
4. No sneaky naps
5. Use the bed for sleep only
6. You sleep in the dark
7. Limit "screen time" before bed
8. Journal or Brain Dump
9. No late night snacking
10. No drinking for 2 hours before bed
11. Exercise

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.