Tomato and Lime 'almost' Hummus


Tomatoes and limes are a match made in heaven.

It's been warm and my kids are loving eating outside so today I said we could have a picnic dinner in the garden. 

Wanting to make salad a bit more interesting I remembered that we used to really enjoy hummus in our pre-GAPS days. We've tried it since weaning off GAPS, but found it still left us feeling bloated and uncomfortable, so I came up with this totally legume free version of hummus, based on the lime flavoured Doritos I used to love (back when I didn't know about corn). 

I can't really call it "hummus" because that's the turkish word for mashed chick peas, and it doesn't contain any, but here is my tomato and lime "almost" hummus recipe.

Ingredients:
3 tbsp of tahini
3 tbsp lime juice 
1 small shallot
3/4 cup of sesame oil
3/4 cup of dried tomatoes (if you don't own a dehydrator, make sure you buy the ones that don't have lots of preservatives added). 
Lime pepper* 
Water (up to 1/2 a cup which you may not need)

Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend away until you get a nice consistency. 

You may need to add some water. 


* You can (and should) make lime pepper! All you need is a pepper grinder salt, peppercorns, lime zest, dried corriander leaves, lemon zest and lemongrass. Mix it all up to suit your tastes. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.