Not a Cherry Pie



No pictures I'm afraid as this was eaten quickly!

Our local park has tonnes of cherries out at the moment, so we helped ourselves to a few and the kids wanted to make cherry pie. I've yet to discover a GAPS legal pastry that doesn't taste of cardboard, so instead I cut a circle of civilised caveman's banana bread and placed it over my filling and baked it. Sort of like a cherry summer pudding, but it was enough to convince the little ones I'd made a pie :-)

Photo credit
It turned out really delicious, so I thought I'd share my filling recipe with you here.

You will need:
- Cherries
- juice and zest of one lemon
- juice and zest of two oranges
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 scraped pods of vanilla


Take as many cherries as you can reasonably gather without looking selfish (we had approximately 600g). Poke out all their stones.
Add orange, lemon and honey, then reduce over a medium heat until thick and gooey.
Stir in the cinnamon and vanilla.

That's it.

Easy as... well... pie!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.