Healthy Jam and Not a Victoria Sandwich


I recently discovered how to make a really nice, healthy, jam and what better to use jam for than making a Victoria sandwich? 

This is beautiful, but it is not mine. Photo credit
Unfortunately, I don't have an amazing sponge cake recipe, but I do have a really light banana cake with no added sweeteners, that my kids love, so I went with that. 

The first thing you need to make is the jam, and it takes 12 hours, so do it the night before. 

You will need:
400g raspberries
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp chia seeds

Warm the honey and the raspberries together until you can mash or purée them (up to you on how lumpy you like your jam). Stir in the chia seeds pour into a clean jar and refrigerate over night. 
Chia seeds are hydrophilic and create a wonderful textured jam, without the use of highly processed pectin or copious amounts of sugar :0)

Now for the 'cake' part. 

You will need:
5 bananas
1/2 cup cashew/almond butter
1/2 cup coconut flour
4 large eggs
4 tbsp butter
1 tbsp baking soda

Blend everything together until smooth, adding the baking sofa at the last minute. 
Pour into cake pans and bake at 175c until a skewer inserted comes out clean (approximately 25 minutes). 

Allow to cool. 

Don't be like me. I was impatient and went straight on with adding the jam. 


No problems there. 

Then I added the whipped cream, and obviously it melted into an ooey-gooey mess. 


Let your cake cool. 

That said, it was delicious, even if it wasn't going to win any prizes for looks...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.