Hair mud #bathroomexperiments

I like change.

So does my hair. 

When I used shampoo, my hair used to get 'bored' with a product and I'd need to change it. It's a real thing, my hairdresser says its because of a 'build up' of product and changing helps to stop it getting 'weighted down' with one thing.

Since I switched to 'no poo' methods, I've noticed the same thing. My hair loves something for a while, then it's time to try something else. 

The baking soda technique was amazing for a while, then it was just average; Dr Bronners was incredible too, then it started to get dull too; both methods work best for me when I switch between them every couple of weeks.

The weather in England has been great this week, we've finally seen the sun!! Whilst covering the children in DIY sunscreen and slathering coconut oil on myself, I did not go as far as protecting my scalp, which is something I regret. 



With that in mind I decided to try a new calming, soothing, moisturising shampoo recipe I found on wellness mama today to add to my bathroom arsenal. As usual, I never stick to the exact recipe, so if you prefer her version, that's fine, I'm not offended. 

Here's mine:

I brewed two cups of 'tea' using Chamomile and Sweet Melissa - no real reason other than that I have a lot of it in my garden and it smells good. 

Allow the 'tea' to cool for a bit and add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and 2/3 of bentonite clay and blend. 

That's it. 


If you are thinking it looks a lot like my DIY 'butt butter' you'd be right. It contains many of the same ingredients. I love how, once you stock up on ingredients for making one thing, you usually have everything you need to make all your other products too!

Now if you are used to 'no poo' washing this is a moisturising dream of a shampoo. I didn't even bother rinsing with vinegar as my hair was so soft and, having not alkalised to cleanse, the pH wouldn't be dramatically altered.

If you are not used to 'no poo' I should point out that this does not foam up (no sls) and so you might want to think of it as more of a 'cleansing mask' rather than a typical 'shampoo'. 

Either way, my hair is soft and lovely and smells amazing right now - added bonus is a soothed scalp. :0)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.