Happy GAPSy Holidays!

Festivals on GAPS are hard work - well, not really, it's just that I had got my routine of how we celebrate and now it's all change.

For Shavuot, one of our traditions has been to eat lots of sweet and dairy treats - something I obviously no longer encourage - but I do still want the day to be memorable and special for the family.

We will continue the tradition of reading from the book of Ruth >Click here for why< and my son has enjoyed making a book to teach his cousins about the festival, but I needed to find something other than candy to remind my children that God's word is sweet and nourishing. Obviously the answer is right there in the bible (it is a biblical festival after all!) so we went straight for milk and honey.
photo credit
Proverbs 24:13 says 'My son, eat honey, because it is good and the honeycomb because it is sweet to your taste.' and we have even had a memory verse from psalm 119 recently 'How sweet Your word is to my taste, sweeter than honey in my mouth', so today's menu will be strongly honey themed, just as a one off.

For breakfast my kids had Shavuot Cinnamon Treat (named by them) which is basically an adaptation of my baked custard to make an extra special once-a-year breakfast.

The recipe goes like this:

5 pastured eggs
1 cup of raw milk
1 cup of raw cream
1/2 cup of honey
2 pods of vanilla
lots of cinnamon

Warm the milk and cream with the vanilla in a pan.
Blend together eggs and honey.
With the blender still running, pour in the warm cream mixture.
Pour into ramekins and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Place in a baking tray of water and pop in the oven at 180c for about 1 hour.

This is massively sweet, but also very nourishing, so... as a one off I think it's okay.

Happy holidays!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.