Creation Care

Creation care ministry is something I got convicted about a long time ago. I was always very 'people' focused, but I was leading an alpha group when one lady's husband talked about how she had rescued a plant she found by the side of the road and nursed it back to health. He told me that they believed 'god' was nature and mother earth and that although they didn't believe in Jesus they would be going to heaven because of the way they cared for every living thing.
Ouch.

The theology was totally wrong, Jesus is the only way to heaven, and yet something nagged at me. If God created the world (John 1:3) and he charged us with stewardship of it (The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it(Genesis 2:15) You shall not pollute the land in which you live.... You shall not defile the land in which you live, in which I also dwell; for I the LORD dwell among the Israelites(Numbers 35:33-34)) then I had to admit that these guys who didn't believe in Jesus were doing a better job than I was. 

It's been a long road of ebbs and flows, but I've recently become convicted again. There are companies like Monsanto who I avoid because of their ethics regarding health and liberty of human beings, and we started buying organic, pastured meat and eggs because of their nutritional values for my family, I was recently convicted again by the 'back to Eden' gardening video. I was watching and thinking 'great, this will really increase the food yield in my garden next year' and then a sentence caught me at the end of the video. The guy says that even if you aren't planning to do some gardening, you should chuck down a load of wood chips, because you don't know who might need that soil in 10 years time. 

It wasn't just about making the land more productive for himself. It was about creation care that benefits generations to come. Knowing that we are moving house this summer means nothing. I should be preparing the ground in the garden with live in, not only as a gift for the people who move in after us, but simply because it's part of what God has asked me to do - care for His creation, take responsibility for the small amount of earth that has been entrusted into my care.

On Facebook I've seen several horrific videos recently about how disgustingly animals are treated in the mass farming industry, and the answer people seem to be pushing is that we all need to convert to veganism.

I refuse to accept that this is the solution. For a start, it's not healthy for us, and I believe God created us and the world to live in balance and in a healthy way. Dr Natasha Campbell-McBride, of GAPS diet fame, goes as far as to say it's child abuse to raise vegetarian kids, claiming it is the leading cause of anorexia - although i'm most people raise their children vegetarian because they don't know better, rather than from a malicious intent!
Eat meat people. It's biblical (genesis 9:3).

The back to Eden gardening principles tie in with what Allan Savory shares in his TED talk about the desertification of land.



The problem, Allan points out, is not animals. The land is turning to desert because we don't drive animals over it in vast herds, something that will only get worse if we convert to veganism! Farming crops without animals is a massive strain on the land, requiring topsoil to be replaced regularly and contributing to climate change at a dramatic rate, and Allan claims, that the depletion of grasslands through lack of animal herding are an immediate cause of poverty, social breakdown, violence and cultural genocide. 

So I'm a firm believer in meat eating. It's good for you, it's good for the planet - but we need to be sensible about it. Choose to support small scale, local, farmers that continue humane safe farming practices. Know where your food comes from and help keep those making ethical choices in business. Choose real food, which doesn't need to spend millions on advertising campaigns. 

Grow whatever you can, it will keep your costs down and allow you to spend a little more of your budget on making good choices, for you, your family, the workers who produce the food and ultimately the whole planet, right now and for years to come.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.