Pinterest: you disappoint me

One of my favourite all time blogs is craftfail. If you haven't read it, you should. Don't bother with the rest of this post, just head over there and laugh until you can't breath any more.

You can thank me later.

I also love Pinterest.

But I love Pinterest for different reasons, because I can get craft ideas, not because I want the projects to end up on craftfail.

Sometimes I think stuff gets pinned just to create some urban legend that everyone can laugh at. For example, sharpie on mugs.

Everyone is pinning this, over and over again in my feed and I want to scream 'this doesn't work!!!' But I too was one of the pinners who shared it, many moons ago.

This is the kind of pin i love. low effort crafting using one of my favourite items - the humble sharpie marker.
Here is a picture of a mug we made:

Ain't it sweet?

Here is the picture after being washed gently in warm soapy water.


We tried it several times. I adjusted the temperature (hotter/colder), the time (shorter/longer), heck I even tried different coloured sharpies!

Nothing worked.

This week however, I suffered a Pinterest fail that probably wasn't entirely Pinterest's fault.

We're moving house in the summer people who are applying for our current job have been coming to view the flat. Bear in mind that whoever gets the job will be living in the same building as us, so although I'm not trying to get a good price on my home, I don't want to be embarrassed every time I bump into them.

Matt made the error of changing the littlest ones diaper in one of the reception rooms about 3 minutes before a couple were due to arrive.

It was awful.

Luckily, I'd seen a pin about getting rid of unwanted smells using rosemary, lemon and vanilla. Just chuck it all in a pan with some water and leave it on the hob with a low heat to make your home smell delicious.

In fairness to Pinterest this worked.

Where I went wrong was forgetting o check on the pan and coming back to a kitchen filled with smoke, a pan filled with what can only be described as black tar and a rather amused looking husband.

The pan has been washed numerous times but its ruined.

To be honest, maybe I should be thanking Pinterest. I've been wanting to switch from 'non-stick' to cast iron pans for a long time now anyway...

Now just for your amusement I enclose some more epic pinterest fails (not mine):
    








And just to prove I'm not the only one the sharpie mug didn't work for...
photo credit

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.