DIY Vitamins



Well, making liposomal vitamin C turned out to be ridiculously difficult and frustrating, despite what everyone else on the forums says!! It may be that I don't have a good ultrasonic cleaner, but I don't want to risk paying out for a more expensive one and find it gives the same results. After my third session of standing over the cleaner, patiently stirring for four and a half hours, my husband told me to put it in the bin.  He says we will just pay for the ready made stuff, despite it being ridiculously expensive.

Everything in me wants to say 'No! We can't spend that much money on a supplement!!' but I'm so, so relieved that I'm just gratefully accepting his generosity. After all, I don't want to be stuck taking statins.

Meanwhile, I have a tonne of non-GMO soy lecithin and ascorbic acid that I don't know what to do with (my bulk buying to save money technique has backfired this time!).

Well, I don't know what to do with the lecithin.

I totally have a plan for the ascorbic acid!

photo credit
You see I recently learned how to make GAPS legal jelly sweets from Mommypotamus. We actually mixed it up a bit, and instead of adding honey I used blended raspberries and strawberries with lime juice and gelatin. My kids LOVE them.

My plan is to chuck a load of ascorbic acid in the sweetie mixture before it cools, and ta-da! Homemade chewy vitamins - without all the rubbish and sugar.

I'm not a fan of multivitamins in general. The New England Journal of Medicine  wrote that '29,000 male smokers were given synthetic beta carotene and synthetic Vitamin E. The study was stopped when rates of lung cancer, heart attacks and death increased.'  (1994) and 22,000 pregnant women were given synthetic Vitamin A. The study was halted because birth defects increased 400% (1995). They also tend to contain a lot of glucose, sucrose, starch and microcrystalline cellulose, nitrites, benzoates and other not real food stuff. 

If you want to make your own, here's how:

1/2 cup a berries blended (any you like, they are mostly for colour)
Juice of one lemon/lime
6-8 tbsp gelatin
10 tbsp ascorbic acid

Warm the juice and berries in a pan.
When warm (but not boiling) stir in the gelatin.
If you stir it in nicely by hand you will get clear jelly.
If you chuck it in a blender it will foam a bit and become somewhere between marshmallow and jelly.
My kids like both versions.
Stir in the ascorbic acid.
Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set.

Mommypotamus uses little molds to make cute stars.
I am not that awesome.
I pour it all into and 8 x 8 inch dish and chop it into little squares.
You should use little molds if you can - way cuter.

Now, does anyone have any ideas for how I can use up all that soy lecithin? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.