Carrot Cake Kefir Smoothie: A RiddleLove Recipe Hack

Doesn't this look incredible?
See the full recipe from RiddleLove here

I was totally inspired by Katie Riddle's Carrot Cake Smoothie this week and decided to create something similar, with just a few tweaks to suit our family a little more. 

For a start, we are skipping the raw milk and using kefir (made from raw milk) to give a tangier flavour, a boost of probiotics and to cut down on sugar. After listening to the HealThy Mouth Summit online all week I'm trying to cut down on how much sugar my children (and I) have daily. I know that sounds weird because we are on GAPS and don't eat any refined sugar/carbohydrates, but we do drink a LOT of fresh raw milk, and that contains... sugar. 

Secondly, whilst ginger and cinnamon are lovely, my kids love a little nutmeg and allspice too.

We had to skip the raisins, partly because my daughter is allergic to grapes (and partly because they are always covered in vegetable oil, but I'll write more on that in another post), but lucky for us Abel & Cole delivered fresh dates this week, so we are using those instead. 

Here's the Gracie Family recipe:

  • 5 large organic carrots
  • 1 inch piece of organic ginger
  • 1.5 cups raw milk kefir
  • 3 frozen bananas (bananas are a low spray crop with thick skin, so don't worry about going organic on these ;0) )
  • 4-5 fresh, organic dates (Christine - take the stones out!)
  • Seeds from two scraped vanilla pods
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon allspice
Juice the carrots and ginger. Blend all the other ingredients together, making sure to hold tight on to your blender so it doesn't jump off the side (this happens when you try to blend frozen stuff. Ask me how I know).

With the mixer running, pour in your carrot and ginger juice.

Enjoy with a straw. 

I don't know why, but smoothies always taste better with a straw...


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.