Lasagne soup

I love my slow cooker, especially at this time of year. A short amount of prep in the morning means I don't have to rush the kids home from an activity to start making dinner, which in any 'real food' home is a massive blessing.

Today we had lasagne soup, which I've only made once before, and I'm not sure why because it is honestly delicious and only took a small amount of tweaking to become GAPS legal.

It's also a hit with the kids (it contains cheese, so obviously they love it) and a great way to get them to eat their broth.

I'm lucky enough to have a food processor, which means the prep took me all of three minutes this morning, if you don't have one, it takes a little while to chop all the veggies, but it's totally worth it.

You will need:
6-8 cups of beef broth (I did half chicken because I didn't have enough and it does not impair the flavour!)
350g ground beef (optional, but more authentic)
1 butternut squash
6 carrots
4 leeks
2 onions
1 whole bulb of garlic (yeah, all of it!)
2 cups passata (I subbed one cup for fresh tomatoes from the garden)
Rind from a hard cheese, like Parmesan (I keep them in the freezer whenever we finish a block, just for stuff like this)
Whatever Italian style herbs you have to hand. I threw in a tonne of oregano, thyme, basil and rosemary. Go telly heavy because the slow cooking mellow out all the flavours.
And finally 1.5 cups medium grated cheddar.

Dump the broth, meat, passata, finely shredded veggies, herbs and cheese rind in your slow cooker and put it in low. Leave it all day.

Come home to house that smells amazing and stir in the cheddar cheese.

That's it.

It also tastes amazing with a dollop of sour cream, but that's totally optional.

Enjoy x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.