Telling a Story #cnmac12



People are longing for stories to live by, inspirational characters who ignite passion and purpose in their lives, who they can emulate and aspire to live like. Why is it that we love epic dramas like Lord of the Rings and Gladiator? Why was the nation, in fact the world, gripped by Harry Potter?

Today I was at Premier Radios Christian New Media Awards and Conference, hosted by the lovely Vicky Beeching. It was my first time at the conference, although I believe Premier and Codec have been running it for three years.

It was great and I'm so looking forward to sharing some of the things I learned there over the next few weeks (I won't overload you with information from it right now as that would be a ridiculously long blog post!)

One of the things that really captured me from the  first speaker, Sheridan Voysey, was the idea of how people were longing to hear stories.

Being a homeschooling family, with a bit of a Charlotte Mason influence, we love great 'living books' with godly role models that cultivate excellent character in our children, like the lamplighter books.

Sheridan pointed out that since our nation has lost it's desire to be known for it's judeo-christian 'story' people are looking for something else to live by. He suggested that Anne Rice's books 'The Vampire Chronicles' appeal to the gothic community, whilst Eat, Pray, Love speaks to an entirely different group of people. Whatever the genre, people are looking for a guiding narrative to help them through life.

Sheridan claimed that people have four basic longings; meaning, guidance, liberation and love. God can and will meet all of these needs, but if we don't have Him, we try to fill the void with other things - to get those needs met in other ways. We listen to stories about people who have supposedly got these things sorted and try to make changes that will bring us meaning, liberation...love.

With that in mind I want to share more of my story. Not that I'm inspirational or that I have everything figured out and you should try to emulate me, but this blog started out with me wanting to write and share my story. To be a chronicle of what was happening in my life. Somewhere along the way it turned into some kind of GAPS recipe book with the odd post on family.

Whilst I'm still going to share recipes with you, I want to start being more transparent, sharing with you the good, the bad and the ugly. You'll still be able to get recipes here, but if that's all you are coming for then I suggest you follow more GAPS friendly board on pinterest instead.
photo credit

I want to share my story with you, because it's not just my story. It's the story of an incredible God, working through an imperfect me and slowly changing me to be more like Him. There's going to slip ups and back slides along the way, but that's part of the adventure and I hope you'll bear with me through it.

I'm going to be vulnerable with you. Please be kind, but most of all please be honest. I'm inviting you into a dialogue with me. The comments section is available with every post. Use it to call me out on poor character. Remind me that I promised you more than just recipes! Discuss conflicting ideas about my theology. I want your input. I'll share my story, His story, but I want you to be part of it with me. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.