Crustless Pumpkin Pie!

I know I'm not the first person in history to attempt a GAPS legal thanksgiving meal, but it feels daunting all the same.

There are actually some great paleo recipes out there that can easily be slightly adapted to create a GAPS legal version. My children are slightly obsessed with pumpkin pie, so we've made several of them already this year, testing out various recipes and I've finally put together the one that we will be using for our family celebration in November.

In case anybody else wants to try it (or tweak it and share results!) here is my recipe.

*disclaimer* it's really easy to make a pie crust from butter, date and crispy nuts blended together, but my kids just love the filling, so I don't bother to get my blender dirty twice!

2 cups fresh pumpkin
1/2 cup of raw cream (or extra thick double cream if you can't get raw)
5 eggs
Zest of one lemon
Zest of one orange
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 cup of honey

Whip eggs in a blender until super fluffy, then add all the other ingredients and whip some more.

Bake at 170c for 45-50 minutes, or until the centre is set and slightly jiggly. If the edges start to brown before the centre is done, just wrap some foil over it, or turn the heat down slightly.

I know traditionally you should refrigerate and serve chilled with whipped cream, but my family can't wait that long. Especially when it smells so good fresh out of the oven!! We eat it hot, drizzle with a little extra honey or with GAPS legal ice cream melting over the top.

Second servings are chilled, if there is any left!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.