Ways to use Whey

As promised, here is a post on how to use the leftover whey from your cream cheese making.

First of all though, a little bit about whey. Whey comes in two forms, acid whey (when you've made paneer or another type of cheese that requires an acid to split the curds like lemon juice) and sweet whey, which is when you have cultured with rennet instead of an acid. If you followed my instructions you will have sweet whey.

Whey is an excellent source of proteins, vitamins, minerals and enzymes; so it's such a shame to waste it. If you have some you need to use up you could try:

  1. Substituting water out of recipes for bread, muffins, pancakes, biscuits etc...
  2. Lacto-fermenting vegetables, sauerkraut, chutneys etc... I have tried this, and it didn't taste great. I think I may have done it wrong as I ended up with fizzy salsa. If you want to know more about this, I am not your girl. You could try http://www.rejoiceinlife.com/recipes/cautions.php
  3. Soaking grains this is a great way to make your recipes more nourishing and easily digestible. For more information The Nourishing Gourmet has compiled a really useful list.
  4. Add it to soups and stews If you freeze it in ice cube trays, it's a great way to cool down a hot soup/stew quickly for little ones and provides extra nutrients
  5. Add it to smoothies
  6. Make Lemonade If you want to try it the recipe is available here. I'm going to give it a go this summer.
  7. Make Ricotta Recipe is here
  8. Make a marinade add whatever else you would normally use. The enzymes in the whey will help to break the meat particles down a little making it much more tender.
  9. Make Nourishing Mayonnaise The Food Renegade has an excellent recipe for an enzyme rich mayonnaise that will be so much better for you than the store bought stuff.
I think that's about it for now. I'm sure there are plenty of other uses for whey, but I'll be learning them as we go.

Let me know if you think of any more in the comments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.