Festival of lights

Our town had a big celebration of Diwali today, with dancing and music and Indian food for you to sample.

Although we are committed christians, we took the kids along to show them what it was and let then see how different cultures celebrate. There were lots of stalls and they let William help with some kind of sand art, called rangoli, that they use to decorate their homes.

I did take a photo, but for some reason it didn't save, so here is a picture of someone else's much fancier handy work:



There were lots of girls with beautiful head dresses and stunningly bright silk costumes, Elisha thought they were beautiful and pointed whilst squeaking her trademark 'look!' noise at us.



And this is how I know that even a one year old is capable of covetousness:-

As I got her out of the bath, dried her off and started to dress her in her white, flannel pyjamas; she looked at them, pulled at the chest, and looked at me with what I can only describe as utter contempt.

'No gold? No silk?' was the angry glare in her eyes. It was all I could do not to laugh.

Fortunately a one year old is easily won over with milk.

I can see we're going to have our work cut out in dealing with materialism as this one grows up!!


- Kj
Xxx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.