.

Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Fruit and Herb combos

Hello and welcome to my blog! If you've migrated over from www.katiejogracie.webs.com, great to see you! Unfortunately I was having a lot of problems with the server over there, constantly crashing, so I've come back to safe and reliable old blogger.

I'm going to be slowly migrating all the old posts over here, as soon as I work out how!

In the mean time, I thought I'd write about something fairly new to me, but that I'm just LOVING which is serving fruits with herbs. The first reason that I love this idea is that herbs (fresh ones) are so good for us. They are absolutely packed full of nutritional benefits, and you can read more about that by clicking here.
The second reason I love it is that people don't expect it. Everyone has heard of serving peaches and cream, but what about peaches with basil? Once your friends have tried it they will think you are a culinary genius (the hard part is convincing them to try it though)! I'm definitely going to be putting my own spin on this for me and Elle's birthday BBQ on Saturday by serving up a peach and basil pavlova. I'll let you know the guests responses in an update.

Thirdly, it's great for introducing little ones to a wider variety of flavours, which are gentle on little taste buds and won't have them screaming 'spicy!' at the first bite.

And finally, it's just delicious. I'm sure you've tried some of the classics (apple and rosemary; raspberry, lime and mint) but I thought I'd list a few of my favourite combos so you can experiment at home too.
There are a few ways you can cook using fruit and herbs: mixing them chopped in a salad or salsa, pureeing together for drinks or popsicles, cooking them down together in compotes or sauces, or using herbs to infuse anything from drinks to custards. So without further ado - here is my list of wonderful fruit and herb combinations to inspire you!

Strawberries and Basil
Strawberries with balsamic vinegar and black pepper
Pineapple and Mint
Kiwi and Thyme
Blackberry and Oregano
Cucumber and Corriander
Melon and Dill
Pear and Sage
Pear and Rosemary
Watermelon and Mint
Pink Grapefruit and Tarragon
Green Apple and Parsley
Lemon and Thyme
Lemon and Black Pepper
Orange and Tarragon
Cherry and Sage
Plum and Lavender
Lime and Rosemary
Blueberries and tarragon
Raspberries and Lemon balm
Grapefruit and Corriander
Coconut, Lemon and Lemongrass
Have fun experimenting! Remember to comment if you come up with a new idea that you think I should try. Comment before Saturday and it may just make it to our celebrations.

3 comments:

Anya said...

Thanks for such a comprehensive list of fruit-herb pairings!

Katie-jo Gracie said...

Glad you like it! I can't wait for harvest time in our garden to start making up some new combinations this season.
So, so good!!

Liposomal Glutathione said...

I really liked your combinations of fruit with herbs!!! All combinations are good for health and nutritious too!!!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India