Money Secrets of the Amish

Money Secrets of the Amish by Lorilee Craker is my latest book from booksneeze, which is about finding 'true abundance' in simplicity, sharing and saving.



If I'm perfectly honest, this book was a massive let down to me. I really hoped it would teach me something I didn't already know, but the ideas are obvious and although it might be helpful to hand to a teenager who has never dealt with money before ideas like 'pay your bills on time to avoid late charges' aren't exactly revolutionary.


The Amish theme is a complete gimmick, and Craker regularly offers advice and tips that are not in anyway related to the Amish, such as treating yourself regularly so that you don't feel completely deprived - a notion that she readily admits confused the Amish folk she interviewed, but she suggests you do it anyway.

She is also a little condescending and perhaps even mocking in the way she talks about the church history between Mennonites and the Amish, particularly in the first few chapters.


The book is very easy to read and not at all difficult to follow, unlike some other finance books I've read, but unless you are a complete novice at trying to watch your budget, I'd probably go for something else. I particularly like Alvin Hall's 'Your Money or Your Life' or even just sign up to the Money Saving Expert's forums. You'll get much better advice from there than you will in this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.