Who's been fighting your battles?

(KJV) 1 Samuel 8:20 That we also may be like all the nations; and that our king may judge us, and go out before us, and fight our battles.

'Fools!' I want to shout at the Israelites, 'God has been fighting your battles so far, why do you want some human king to do it for you?'

We've been studying the monarchy in our bible study this month, and this verse struck me as particularly idiotic. I love judging the Israelites. They see incredible miracles of God and then they turn and worship a gold cow. How can they be so dumb?

How can I be so dumb?

How often do I try to take the lead and be my own 'king' instead of allowing God to fight my battles for me? How successful am I when I do?

See it's all very easy to judge the Israelites when we see the snapshot portions of their lives and it all seems so black and White. What would our lives read like if they were condensed down to the spiritual highlights/lowlights? If our lives were edited down to the spiritual lessons that could be learnt from them for future generations would we be proud of them? Or have we enjoyed a short lived faith after God shows His might and then dwindled along until his next intervention?

I want to step back and let God take the lead, let Him fight my battles. I don't have the energy to fight them myself. In the words of Kelanie Gloecker:

Let it be to me according to Your word

Your ways are higher than mine

I'll let go

Your kingdom come

In my life

Your will be done

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.