Fitness and Focus


When I'm stressed, or rushing, I tend to make stupid mistakes. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. How many times have you found the car keys in the fridge? Or you mobile phone in the microwave? Especially when you have small kids to take care of. I recently walked out of a coffee morning with Will and the the pram, change bag and keys, only to realise I'd left someone holding Elisha in the kitchen! Very embarrassing. 

This is one of the reasons it is important to me that everything has a place. If I habitually hang my keys on the hook the minute I come in the door, I'm much less likely to freeze them. But recently I've been intrigued by the work of a neuroscientist at the university of Illinois, Arthur Kramer. Particularly an article titled 'ageing, fitness and neurocognitive function' which reports that a good way to improve your ability to focus and brain cognition is through aerobic exercise. 

'The Invisible Gorilla' discusses his study and I've extracted a bit here for you:

'...aerobic exercise more effectively improves the health of your heart and increases blood flow to your brain... ...you don't need to compete in triathlons; just walking a reasonable clip for thirty minutes or more a few times a week leads to better executive functioning and a healthier brain... ...Exercise improves cognition broadly by increasing the fitness of the brain itself. '

As your working on setting up your home routines, ensure you schedule in time for thirty minutes exercise two or three times a week. If your thinking 'I don't have time to exercise' think again - the reality is that the exercise will help you to focus, meaning you will work more efficiently and end up with even more free time! 

Good job I joined the gym yesterday. Now I've just got to find the time to go... ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.